Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Fashion IS business IS the environment? – Gabrielle Boland


Globalised, is apparently what we are now. Or at least it’s featured in the world that we live. So that makes it fairly relevant right?

What does this mean? I never changed and I’m making no concerted effort to travel more or maintain a more multi-cultural life. Truth be told I have been more affected than I cared to notice and ever intended to be. I have had a realisation that it’s been imposed on us and we haven’t really much choice in the matter.

The best way I can define our globalising world and lives are as follows:

No one is involved in business, interested in fashion or concerned for the environment anymore without really, all the rest

This is shown in China Fashion Holdings (who make much of our beloved garments) seeing a rise in share prices (so they have more money, to make better clothes and more of them) by purchasing an oil and gas firm (this firm alters our natural environment). http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/11/stocksnews-singapore-chinafashion-idUSL3E8FB0SS20120411 
All of these three - business, fashion, environment- depend on each other and so do we.

We are being increasingly influenced by everything that is happening all over the world. It’s not going to work anymore if I stick my head in the sand and focus in on what I love, because what I’m interested in and makes me laugh and smile; is at the mercy of the world in its entirety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment